Do not rely on them for legal advice. Your individual situation may yield a different result, so contact us before taking action.

  • What are your rates?

    Our standard hourly rates are $300.00 for Donna J. Bays, and $120.00 for paralegal services. Fees for some services may vary. For more information about our fees, click here.

  • What are your hours?

    Hours are by appointment. We are generally available 9:00 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you would like to make an appointment please call us at (317) 769-0630.

  • Do you offer Free Consults?

    We generally charge for our consultations because we use those appointments to give you important legal information and advice. For more information about our consultations, click here.

  • How much is your retainer?

    The amount of your retainer will be based upon several factors, including the complexity of your case and whether you authorize automatic credit card payments. The most common retainer amount is $3,500.00.

  • Can I pay the retainer over time?

    Yes, but we will not start work on your behalf until the full retainer is received.

  • Do you offer payment plans?

    Not at the start of a case.

  • I’m not sure if I need an attorney.

    A legal consultation will let you explain your circumstances and get legal advice from one of our attorneys. In some situations, the information and advice you get from a consultation will let you avoid further litigation.

  • I live in another state, but my children are in Indiana. Do I have to come to Indiana for a consultation?

    When clients are far away, we provide consultations via video conference (Skype, Google Meet, etc.) or telephone.

  • How do I get Child Support?

    Child support must be court-ordered. If child support is all you need, your local prosecutor’s child support office may be able to help you at very little cost. When the financial circumstances of either parent are complicated or a parent has non-W- 2 income, we recommend hiring an attorney to calculate the correct amount.

  • How can I reduce my child support?

    Child Support cannot be changed informally. In order to reduce support, you will need a court order. This is started by filing a Motion to Modify Child Support.

  • My ex won’t let me see my kids. What do I do?

    You will need a court order that spells out each parent’s child access rights. If you already have a court order for parenting time, you can file an enforcement action asking the Court to hold the other parent in contempt.

  • I just received divorce papers. Now what do I do?

    We strongly recommend that you consult with an attorney right away.

  • How do I become a legal guardian for the kids I am raising?

    A Probate Court Judge can appoint a guardian for minor children unless another court has already issued custody orders. Click here for more information on minor guardianships. If the parents have a prior or current divorce or paternity case, or a current Child in Need of Services (CHINS) case, you will need to file a motion in that case requesting third-party custody.

  • Can I just sign over my parental rights?

    Probably not. Until a child turns 18, most courts won’t allow that unless another person adopts the child or there is a significant history of child abuse or neglect.

  • Is there a way we can get divorced without going to Court?

    You can’t get divorced without a Court Order. BUT: You won’t have to appear in court if all issues in your divorce case are settled and the proper documents are submitted to the court, you won’t have to physically go to Courthouse. It can all be done on paper.

    The common methods to settle without going to Court are:

    • Direct negotiation between the parties
    • Negotiation with the assistance of lawyers
    • Mediation
    • Arbitration
  • My ex-girlfriend is pregnant. What should I do?

    Register with Indiana’s Putative Father Registry to protect your parental rights. Click here for the form.

  • Is there a way to separate but not get divorced?

    The law does not require husbands and wives to live together. You can live apart without any court intervention if that’s what you both want. Indiana’s “legal separation” laws authorize the court to issue orders concerning children, support, property, and debts for couples who need them to live apart peacefully. However, under Indiana Law, those orders are only valid for 1 year. They must be renewed annually.

  • I adopted my spouse’s biological child when we married. Am I responsible for that child now that we’re divorcing?

    Yes. When you adopt a child, you become that’s child’s parent for the rest of your life. Your divorce won’t change that.

  • How do I stop my ex from moving away with our kids?

    Indiana has a relocation law that can stop parents from moving their children. Contact an attorney right away to discuss your rights under the relocation law.

  • My ex-wife had a baby one month after our divorce, and I know it’s not mine.

    As a matter of law, you will be that child’s legal father unless you get a court order to the contrary.

  • How do I get divorced if my spouse makes 100% of our household income?

    Parenting Coordinators must be appointed by a court.

  • My kid just left for college. What about child support?

    Under current Indiana law, child support stops at age 19. Orders to pay college expenses can go past that if a motion requesting college expenses is filed before the child’s 19 th birthday.

  • Can I protect my assets after the wedding?

    Even if you didn’t get a pre-nup before the wedding, there are ways to protect your assets. The most common are post-nuptial agreements and trust instruments.

  • How do I get a Parenting Coordinator?

    Parenting Coordinators must be appointed by a court.

  • Do we need a Parenting Coordinator?

    If you and the other parent can’t figure out a way to agree on basic child issues including parenting time, clothing, extracurricular activities, etc.; you may benefit from a Parenting Coordinator. Click here for more information about Parenting Coordination.